We've just launched a massive update to the standalone map: thousands of new loot markers! On top of that, each one is clickable to see what items can spawn there. This is still an early version, but I think it's definitely a good start.

The changes in the way DayZ works now have also brought some changes to the way the loot map works. First, there's no longer such a thing as residential, industrial, military, etc spawns. Instead, spawns are categorized as Weapons, Equipment, Clothes, Supplies, or Medical based on a weighted ranking of amount of items available there.

The details on how that works are pretty simple. Each item belongs to a category, and each category is given a weight. There's a ton of different books, so they get a weight of 0.1, while there aren't many weapons, so they get a much higher weight. We go through all of the items that come from a spawn, add up their weights, and the category on top decides how the spawn is categorized. This means that a Weapons spawn isn't guaranteed to have any weapons spawned, but it's more likely that they'll be there than at other spawns.

Another change that helps in many cases is that each building can have multiple spawn areas, which each have their own type of loot. The fire stations, for example, have areas with names that tell you where those particular items can spawn: garage lockers, tower lockers, etc.

Again, this is an early version! I've made large changes to the way things work behind the scenes, and while I've made every effort to make sure things like custom marker sets still work, there's always the chance that I missed something. If you find something that's broken, send us an email or a tweet @DayZDB to let me know!

Comments

+8-
By OprahWinfery on 2014/01/04 at 1:48am

Any way to mark spawn locations on the map?

+0-
By zaczac111 on 2014/01/04 at 2:56am

Do Deer Stands spawn loot now?

+2-
By creepy on 2014/01/04 at 5:57am

This is great... will you be adding a feature where we can search for a specific item and see all the locations where it spawns?

Also the M4s don't seem to be in your list. I see the parts but not the actual gun listed. I'm assuming it is supposed to fall under the militaryrifles heading in some item spawn locations but it isn't listed specifically.

+-2-
By Fiuri on 2014/01/04 at 8:01am

Po wstepnym przyjrzeniu sie mapie i oznaczeniom, uwazam ze jest super. Zakladam, ze to poczatek przygody z tak fajnie opracowana mapa. Brawo

Edited by Fiuri on 2014/01/04
+0-
By ItsDennis on 2014/01/04 at 10:04am

What about spawning with a friend?

+2-
By Groundpounder on 2014/01/04 at 11:37am

LOOKING GOOD GUYS

+0-
By X-qlusive on 2014/01/04 at 12:40pm

Nice work keep it up!

+0-
By mr-snipes on 2014/01/04 at 2:52pm

thank you, the malicious ads have been removed as it seems.

Edited by mr-snipes on 2014/01/06
+1-
By SSgtDUmbass on 2014/01/04 at 6:51pm

Since the loot is visible i cant set or edit my own marker! Anyone else got the same problem?

+0-
By Groundpounder on 2014/01/05 at 1:09am

still cannot find any loot in the deerstands, or where it is posted

+0-
By FishGuts4Lunch on 2014/01/05 at 9:27am

I like the improvement on the map but wish you could toggle the icons on and out as it makes it as a whole a bit cluttered if you are using it for simple navigation. I also have the impression that the game is now spawning less heavy weapons and more pistols. Pistol ammo takes a bit more searching for as well once you do find a gun. Having said that I did manage to gather enough 5.56 ammo to start a small war but came across no more than 2 caches of 45 acp rounds and one of .357. No clips found at all so if someone had found the 45 (i found plenty) they still wouldn't be able to use it. I actually like the fact that the heavy weapons are not as prevalent now. An assult rifle should be something rare and highly valued. I would not like things to get back to the way they were on the DayZ mod where many people were better outfitted than most armies. I feel this took much of the fun out of the game and didn't reflect on how things would be if this were real life (yeah I know, how real life is a zombie appocolypse)

Edited by FishGuts4Lunch on 2014/01/05
+1-
By DJPorterNZ on 2014/01/05 at 10:10pm

While I applaud the work involved, I'm with FishGuts. Can we have a toggle to switch these off, please.

To be honest, some of the classifications are very iffy. I'm assuming that the info is coming from the configs, but some of those buildings marked as weapon spawns haven't spawned anything at all in my 150 hours in game. So I'd very much prefer to use my own marker set which tallies better with what I'm actually finding in-game ATM.

Plus turning them off adds to the fog-of-war. It's nice and all knowing the buildings are there, but you still got to go there to see if its worth going there ;-)

Thanks.

PS: Can we also get a way to remove a marker set (if it doesn't already exist and I'm just not seeing it). I had a few false starts that I want to hide before anyone finds out I'm not perfect.

Edited by DJPorterNZ on 2014/01/05
+2-
By juusom0 on 2014/01/06 at 2:33pm

Spawning to friend would be awesome

+1-
By jclewisam75 on 2014/01/07 at 7:46pm

we love u dayzdb!!!! since the begening of the mod!! thanks again!

+2-
By Ten24-SweepNClear on 2014/01/08 at 3:32am

I'm stuck in a room after logging back into the server and this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1MUshj4wGE&feature=youtu.be

I need help getting out.

+1-
By ELREVENGE on 2014/01/08 at 8:17am

Ten24-SweepNClear If you need help with that still I had the exact same problem. I found that if you sprint at a wall and press v it will get you out it worked perfectly for me on my 2nd or 3rd try,if it doesn't work on the first wall try the others some don't like to be run through. Good luck getting out though.

+1-
By Turble on 2014/01/08 at 4:18pm

Beautiful work. Keep it up!

+1-
By Vendaros on 2014/01/09 at 8:17am

Ten24-SweepNClear, if walking at the wall and pressing V doesn't work go prone and try that way, if that doesn't work what I found is that you should walk a the wall and then disconnect your internet, wait 30 seconds and reconnect, it should pop you out the other side of the wall :)

+2-
By BLFonsworth on 2014/01/10 at 6:31pm

Where did the loot information come from? A lot of it is wrong. A lot of loot spawns marked on the map are not there. A lot of buildings, tree stands, helicopter crash sites, etc are marked as having loot but do not. Is this simply a copy/paste of the loot spawns in the mod or was this taken from a credible database somewhere?

+1-
By FishGuts4Lunch on 2014/01/10 at 8:10pm

I had a closer look at the map and I am happy to report that the icons can indeed be toggled on and off. In the index to the right are 6 tabs SUPPLIES EQUIPMENT WEAPONS CLOTHES OTHER VEHICLES

Each of these tabs will switch the corresponding icon on or off in the map. YEAH!